Are you tired of feeling like you’re still pregnant even though you’ve never had kids or gave birth years ago??? Here are my top 3 ban the bloat tips to help you get back into those pre-mom jeans!
Ban the Bloat Tip #1 – Keep Your Digestive System Happy 🙂
A lot of times we feel “big” in the middle not because of fat (thankfully!) but what’s going on in our stomach. Keeping our digestive system happy, especially avoiding bloat, can go a long way in helping us look and feel slimmer.
Here are a few tips to ban bloat:
- Use herbs such as basil, dill, ginger, fennel, and mint – all of these herbs have gas-relieving properties. Traditional Medicinals do a couple of great digestive teas.
- Introduce fiber-rich food gradually – fiber is great, but if you are not used to a fiber-rich diet and suddenly eat a lot of fiber-rich food, your GI tract will act up.
- Cook beans properly – soak beans for at least 4 hours, and use spices or kombu to improve digestibility.
- Notice how your body reacts to vegetables such as broccoli and cabbage, and moderate intake if necessary.
- Look for potential food intolerance (e.g. lactose or gluten) – if your body cannot digest and assimilate these properly, they can cause gas.
- Yoga poses such as twisting can help relieve gas – these poses stimulate the movement of the smooth muscles of the intestinal walls and help “move things along”. Check out this video.
Ban the Bloat Tip #2 – Reduce Fluid Retention
You can easily gain 3 – 5 pounds, even a dress size, if you are experiencing water retention. For most women, hormonal fluctuation is the main cause of fluid retention. Food allergies and intolerance can also be a cause for water retention. Although you may not be able to get rid of all the fluids that Mother Nature imposes on you, there are a few things you can do to reduce the “impact”:
- Stay hydrated
- Reduce salt intake
- Reduce sugar intake
- Reduce toxic load and detox regularly. This doesn’t mean you have to rush out and buy one of those detox packs at your local health food store where you can only drink crazy shakes and not eat any food. By detox, i mean keep things really simple, just eat real food, avoid sugar, alcohol, dairy & gluten.
- Use herbs with diuretic properties such as dandelion greens, uva ursi, corn silk, alfalfa, stinging nettle, celery seeds and parsley. Traditional Medicinals does a great diuretic tea.
- Use an infrared sauna to help relieve stored water
- Discover if you may have any food allergies or intolerance by doing an elimination diet or seeing your local Naturopath for testing.
Ban the Bloat Tip #3 – Facilitate Elimination
Facilitating elimination can help get rid of “dead weight” that is bogging you down. Here are a few things you can do to help “move things along”:
- Drink fresh juice of carrot and apple to aid colon detox
- Drink a cup of warm water with 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, first thing in the morning – it is very alkalinizing and cleansing
- Make sure you are getting enough fiber – fruits, vegetables, whole grains, flaxseed, oat bran, psyllium husk are all great sources.Check out the recipe below to help you out.
- Eat foods rich in prebiotics (garlic, onions, leeks, asparagus, bananas) and probiotics (kefir, miso, tempeh, sauerkraut, kimchi)
- Exercise regularly – movement helps peristalsis which is the wave like movements your intestines use to help move food, nutrients and waste along.
- Do yoga poses such as twisting and cat-cow to massage the digestive organs. This is a great video to use
I hope the above tips can help you reduce your bloat, click here for my Bloat Fighting Tropical Smoothie Recipe.