This Sunday was a snowy one and the perfect time for a warming pot of chili so i made one of my favourite recipes in the morning and let it simmer all day, the house smelled amazing and it was easy clean up at dinner – double score!
Mel’s Favourite Chili
3 Tbsp coconut oil
2 lbs lean ground beef (turkey, chicken, pork and venison would also work well here)
2 onions, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch celery, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 yellow pepper, diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 zucchini, diced
2 cans (28oz) diced tomatoes (no salt added)
2 cans (15oz) beans, your choice – i used kidney and chickpeas (preferable BPA free)
1 can tomato paste
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp onion powder
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (unpasteurized)
1 Tbsp coconut sugar
- Heat 2 Tbsp coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat, add ground beef and cook until browned. Drain and put aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of coconut oil to the hot pan, add onion and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes or until softened. Add peppers, celery, carrots and zucchini and cook for a further 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add chili powder, cumin and onion powder, stirring for a minute. Then add all remaining ingredients – diced tomatoes, tomato paste, beans, vinegar and coconut sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour (or a few!)
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with some home made guacamole, grated white cheddar and some Greek yogurt and a green salad.
Recipe adapted from Whitewater Cooks – Shelley Adams