I love treats just as much as the next person but since becoming a nutritionist I am always on the lookout for healthier versions.
Lately, I have come across a few different versions of a dark chocolate peanut butter cup and thought i had to give one a try and no better time but at my streets Christmas party last weekend.
Super easy to make and if you have an allergy to peanuts or just don’t like it, you can easily substitute almond butter or any nut or seed butter. Pumpkin seed butter is a great low allergen alternative.
Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
Makes 24 minis
2/3 cup organic coconut oil
½ cup organic cocoa powder
½ cup pure maple syrup
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp pure vanilla extract
12 tsp organic peanut butter
- Melt coconut oil on low heat and add cocoa powder, maple syrup, cinnamon and vanilla. Stir until smooth.
- Pour 1.5 teaspoons of the mixture into mini muffin papers.
- Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Take ½ teaspoon of peanut butter and flatten onto chocolate cups.
- Pour a thin layer of the chocolate mixture on top of the peanut to cover.
- Freeze for another 10 minutes.
- Remove and enjoy!
*Best kept in the freezer, but can also be kept in the fridge
Recipe courtesy of Miranda Malisani, fellow nutritionist http://www.mirandamalisani.com