I took the kids for an awesome walk Sunday morning to make the most of the beautiful Fall weather we are having. By the end the kids were hungry so we headed to Euphoria Smoothies on Broadway for some lunch, they had curried pumpkin soup on the menu so it gave me an idea.
I got home and headed into the kitchen for my meal prep time. I had a butternut squash that needed to be used so I made a curried butternut squash soup, it turned out awesome, so I thought I would share the recipe with you.
Curried Butternut Squash Soup
1 butternut squash
2 onions, peeled and cut into wedges
2 garlic cloves, unpeeled
¼ cup coconut oil
1-2 cups chicken stock (I used bone broth*)
1 Tbsp curry powder
¼ tsp cinnamon
1 – 14 oz can of coconut milk (I like the Native Forest brand)
1 tablespoon pure, local maple syrup
½ tsp sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Cut the squash in half or quarters and remove the seeds.
- Place ¼ cup coconut oil in a baking dish, coating the bottom and place the squash, cut side down in the dish, prick the skins with a sharp knife or fork
- Wrap the 2 unpeeled garlic cloves in tin foil and add them to the dish, add the onions too.
- Bake for 45 mins or an hour, until tender. Remove and let stand.
- Scrape the baked squash, onions and garlic into a stock pot and add chicken stock, curry powder, cinnamon, coconut milk, maple syrup and salt and bring to a boil medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender or using an immersion, puree the soup until smooth.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings if needed
*Bone broth is made by adding 2 tablespoons of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar when making homemade stock, this will draw nutrients such as minerals and collagen from the bones and provide more nutrition, immune supporting and anti-inflammatory benefits.
Melanie Grime is a holistic nutritionist at the Collective Health Clinic serving the Orangeville, Dufferin, Wellington and Caledon areas. Melanie Grime RHN treats everyone as an individual with their own specific needs and helps clients suffering from health issues by looking for the root cause of symptoms and working with them to reach their health and nutrition goals. She specializes in weight loss, hormonal issues, detox, meal planning, nutritional consulting and family nutrition.