I love this time of year, the good weather is just beginning and the fresh local veggies are starting to appear. Asparagus is one of the first so grab it up and get cooking, not only will it taste awesome but it will give you body lots of health benefits too!
Supports The Gut: Asparagus contains inulin, a prebiotic that encourages healthy gut flora. It also has mild laxative and diuretic properties.
Boosts Energy: Aspartic acid neutralizes excess ammonia in the body, which could otherwise result in a sense of feeling drained and lacking in vigor.
Anti-Inflammatory: Contains rutin and glutathione, which protect cells against oxidative stress by free radicals in the body, promote a healthy immune response and can strengthen blood vessels.
Protects The Heart And More : A great source of B vitamins, especially folate which may help control homocysteine, a substance that promotes heart disease, cancer and cognitive decline.
Skin Health: A combination of detoxifying properties and beta-carotene in asparagus has a purifying effect on the skin.
How Do I Get The Best From My Asparagus?
- Use It Quickly: Asparagus deteriorates quickly when stored. Buy and use within a couple of days to get the maximum benefit.
- How To Cook It: Broil or steam for 3-5 minutes (avoid boiling). Or braise quickly in a little vegetable broth to ensure the maximum flavour and retentions of nutrients.
Use In Salads Or As A Special Ingredient:
Add cooked cold asparagus to a colourful salad to make a delicious light meal or cook and serve with hot pasta, cooked fresh fish and chicken or add to a vegetable quiche.
1 pound asparagus
1-2 Tbsp Grapeseed oil *
Sea salt & pepper
Parmesan, freshly grated
½ lemon, freshly juiced
- Preheat your grill for high, direct heat.
- Prep asparagus, coat with grapeseed oil*, sprinkle with salt: Prepare the asparagus by breaking or cutting off any tough bottom ends
- Grill on high, direct heat: Brush the grill grates lightly with grapeseed or coconut oil. Place the asparagus spears on the grill so that the thickest ends are aimed toward the hottest part of the grill.
- Alternatively, you can use a grill pan, heat on high.
- Grill the asparagus spears for 2-4 minutes, until lightly charred and just fork tender, turning them often so that they brown on all sides.
- Remove from grill, squeeze fresh lemon juice over and sprinkle with parmesan – enjoy!
* Olive oil is very delicate and shouldn’t be heated at medium or above temperatures so I recommend using grapeseed or coconut oil which have higher smoke points when using directly on the BBQ.)