My First Canadian Camping Experience

IMG_1087

Growing up in England, camping was never a family tradition. I can only remember camping out a couple of times in my life so when my husband suggested we join our good friends and go camping as a family, my immediate reaction was to say hell no but after some persuading and promise of a blow up mattress for me to sleep on, I agreed.

I was truly spoilt as my first Canadian camping experience took me to Kilber Provincial Park and it was so beautiful. One of my favourite parts of the trip was when I woke up the first morning and looked up and I could see the blue sky and trees through the top of the tent, what a great way to start the day.

I knew while preparing for this trip that alot of the traditional camping food is not the healthiest but as you can’t take the Nutritionist out of me I still wanted these few days away to be relatively healthy so I thought I would share with you the food that made the cut for the Grime & Morrow camping trip.

Breakfast

  • Oatmeal with maple syrup & fresh fruit (pre-cut melon & berries)
  • Eggs, bacon, fresh fruit
  • Other great alternatives would be Greek yogurt, granola & fruit or pre-made chia pudding

Lunch

  • Bakery bought fresh dinner rolls with nitrate free luncheon meat
  • 100% beef all natural hotdogs from Lifechoices
  • Pre-cut veggies & Hummus
  • Another great lunch alternative would be a hearty salad made with quinoa, beans or whole-grain pasta salad, i think i will do this next time.

Dinner

  • Beef & shrimp tacos with salsa, home-made aioli and corn slow-cooked over the fire
  • Ribs (cooked on Dave`s smoker we brought with us) with potatoes & Super Seven Kale Salad

Snacks

  • Homemade banana bread
  • Neal Brothers Cheese Twists
  • Neal Brothers Blue Corn Tortillas
  • Home-made Salsa (checkout the recipe below)
  • Apple & almond butter
  • A home-made trail mix would be another great option for a healthy snack with some raw nuts & seeds, dried fruit and even some dark chocolate chips thrown in.

I can’t lie, there was a bag of Doritos, some juice and some S’mores thrown in too but hey, you should all know by now that I am about balance and a big believer in the 80/20 rule. Be good 80% of the time and the other 20% shouldn’t be enough to tip the scales on your health.

I have included one of the only photos i took while camping of Dave and our boys fishing. I would have taken more but my phone died very early on and to be honest, it was nice to be away from technology and be totally present with my family & friends and take in the beautiful surroundings. Just don’t tell Dave how much I enjoyed myself otherwise he will be planning our whole Summer camping next year and I’m not quite sure I’m ready for that yet 🙂

Salsa

3 medium tomatoes

1/2 cup cilantro

2 garlic cloves

1 small red onion

juice of 1 lime

salt and pepper

Combine the above ingredients in your food processor or high powered blender and pulse until mixed and to your desired consistency, i like my chunky!

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s